Monday, November 3, 2008

Nighttime Critters

The other night when we came home my son noticed something running across the yard and up onto the small tree/bush. I told him it was probably a cat. He said "No mom, that's no cat"

After we got out of the car, I noticed he was right.

There was an opossum staring back at us.



I think these are ugly critters. But I know God had some sort of purpose for them, altho I don't know what it could be.








The kids thought it was cool to look at the critter up close. They talked about his teeth, and even his little "hand".



Then my son, who is always coming up with good questions asked "Why they were called possums if they were spelled with an "O" at the beginning?" I answered with my motherly knowledge and said "I don't know" .



Anyone know why???????

5 comments:

Mom of Three said...

I googled it and found this:

Didelphimorphia is the order of common opossums of the Western Hemisphere. They are commonly also called possums, though that term is also applied to Australian fauna of the suborder Phalangeriformes. The Virginia Opossum is the original animal named opossum.

I always thought they could be called either possums or opossums.

I too usually use the mom knowledge though!

that girl said...

mom of three beat me with the wisdom

Steph said...

Thanks mom. Your so good

Heart of Rachel said...

I've never seen an opossum before but I'd rather keep a distance if I do. :)

Alixandra said...

So cute!